Jan 19, 2011

Kids Today

Alex @ Sunnyside Elementary

These kids thought I was so weird.  When I asked them if they wanted to pull tarot cards, they looked at me like I was cross-eyed.  Only Alex was willing to try it, explaining to his friends that "they tell your future and stuff".  I told him that I wasn't that good, that I can't tell people's future or anything like that.  He seemed disappointed and looked at his basketball hesitantly, but decided to try it anyway. Considering his youth, his choice of cards seemed to pertain to individuation:  the process of differentiating oneself from the collective in order to establish a distinct sense of individuality.  The first card he drew (9 of Cups) hinted at le premier amour, an inclination toward a #1 Crush.  The second (5 of Swords) symbolized a death of old ideas and the blossoming of a new understanding of the world.  The final card (The Chariot) intimated the discovery of innate talents and the challenge of putting them to use in the world.  It wasn't a bad reading and Alex seemed content with it, if not thrilled.  Had I been able to tell the future, I could have warned him that his basketball was about to be thrown into a giant puddle, but that probably wouldn't have been that exciting either.           

No comments:

Post a Comment