Apr 10, 2011

The Writing Desk

Jeff Johnson & Angela Giacoma @ Beulahland

These two remind me of that classic Kerouac line where he describes "the mad ones", the desirous ones who are mad to live and mad to be saved and burn burn burn like speed freaks into the night-- holy bums-- his kinda people.  Mad ones like Jeff and Angie, who live in Marilyn Monroe's post-Dimaggio divorce flat and fly around the world off the success of Jeff's critically acclaimed memoir, Tattoo Machine.  At present, they're doing the hollywood hustle; Angela's focused on producing a Tattoo Machine movie, the central question being:  Who will play Jeff?  Johnny Depp or Benicio Del Toro?  Angie and Jeff are in love and mad to live.  After I read their tarot, Jeff showed me his recently acquired Yakuza tattoo and his MS-13 tattoo; both of which were acquired legitimately and were accompanied by some bizarre fucking stories.  Bizarre to the point that after Jeff and Angie left, the two girls sitting adjacent to them were like, "What was that all about?".  I told them that the departing fellow is an author and his girlfriend wants to make his book into a movie.  I pointed at the Jeff Johnson decal I had never really noticed before, illegitimately commemorating his writing desk.
"That was the author of Tattoo Machine?" the brunette said incredulously, "I EDITED that book!"
My head spun over the random convergence of an entire production of literature.
"No way, You should have told him what you thought of it."    
"Whatever," she replied, "I hated that book.  It fucking sucked".  

It's a good story though.  






No comments:

Post a Comment