Dec 5, 2010

Post-Satyricon

                                       Sam Henry @ My Father's Place

Sam Henry is kind of a big deal in Portland's underground music scene.   He was a drummer for Wipers, an o.g. punk band that has influenced countless rockers, most notably Nirvana, Mudhoney, The Melvins, and Dinosaur Jr.  I met Sam by chance at My Father's Place, where he was drinking Hot Toddies to nurse a sore throat.  His voice was raw from a wild weekend at  Satyricon, where he had sat in on the final gigs at the now defunct venue.  I had no idea who he was when I met him and probably still wouldn't if the bartender hadn't played one of his songs for me after Sam left.  Dude was incredibly humble, hilarious, and optimistic that punk will survive and even flourish despite the demise of its premier West Coast venue.

No comments:

Post a Comment