Mar 25, 2011

Warm Sounds

Justin Meyer @ Hall of Records

Oh hell yes!  I just got Steely Dan tickets!  Come summer, I will be getting smooth in Arlene Schnitzer's Lower Balcony (dirty!), sipping on Kirschwasser and drifting amidst the human flotsam whom, like myself, sway to and fro amidst the steely currents.  That's my kind of night, baby:  Mingling with jaded trollops, sloppy-jalopies, and hop-headed jazz junkies as the near-great ingrates of 70's radio lay down their suavest grooves.
  
Many of you will never understand my love for Steely Dan.  Haters decry them as "elevator music", "conservatory urchins", and (ahem) "pussy music".  How bourgeois!  Only the lowest of the low & the highest of the high can truly understand the majesty The Royal Scam.  Soul ambassador, Justin Meyer digs it.  Although his awesome bar/recordstore Hall of Records specializes more in deep cuts by Charles Mingus, Bill Evans, Sly Stone & the other masterminds of Soul, Funk, Jazz, and R&B, he respects the niche Walter Becker & Donald Fagen have carved for themselves in the high-class canon of funky nuggets.  He said he's cool with me bringing by my Royal Scam LP sometime and laying down a track or two for the edification of the non-believers.  You best prepare that ass to shake!        

The countdown to ecstasy has begun, sweet child.   On July 3rd, 2011 while the charlatans stay at home watching Scrubs and hugging their pillows, I'll be at The Schnitz with my fly gators on, doing the Boston Rag with a frazzled D-List starlet or toasting the warm sounds of Steely Dan with a drunken used-car salesman.  Don't cry for me, my funky one, I will be right where I belong.            

No comments:

Post a Comment