Dec 13, 2010

Celebration Tabernacle

                                           Dre @ Celebration Tabernacle (Thanksgiving 2010)

In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have been playing with Tarot cards in a church.  Celebration Tabernacle had a Thanksgiving Potluck this year and I thought bringing them some apple cider would be a kind gesture, since they were providing free meals to people.  I hung out for a while and listened to tunes and drank coffee.   A variety of people were gathered there, but few were willing to impose their fate upon the devil's playing cards.  Dre was cool with it though-- he did it for art.  He was there taking photos too, using a sweet Canon digital and a giant zoom lens.  Much nicer rig than mine.

Unfortunately, my good time at Celebration ended abruptly when I was asked to leave.  I was talking with this older gentleman, Phillipe, as he gazed fixedly at The Judgement card.  He just stared and stared and didn't really share his thoughts on it, but was obviously contemplating the religious overtones of it.  The card features an angel with a trumpet blasting the dead out of the grave; an image straight out of The Book of Revelations.  Ironically, during this meditation on judgement, two volunteer Christians came and told me that I could not display my cards in their church and that I would have to leave.  I was fine with that, but still tried to convince Phillipe to let me take his portrait before I shipped out.  He declined.  "I want no association with what you are doing," he told me, as the faithful guardians hovered over my shoulder impatiently.   So no deal.  Community is thicker than than my silly project, I might be sacrilegious, but at least I can respect that.

No comments:

Post a Comment